Happy New Year & the Three Kings!!




Happy New Year!!
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday season.

Today is back to real life for me. I have a full time job but luckily we had a long break from Dec 23 to Jan 4. I know a lot of my friends only got 2-3 days off so I really do feel lucky! I know the holiday season is starting earlier each year but for some reason I feel like Christmas went by so fast! I was looking at my tree last night and I felt like I had just put it up! My family and I keep our decorations longer than most people since we celebrate the arrival of the Three Wise Men, which is tonight!!

Tonight and tomorrow is when we celebrate the Three Wise Men, or Kings, arriving to see baby Jesus and present him with gifts. We celebrate by getting together and sharing a "kings cake" or "rosca de reyes" in Spanish with hot chocolate. yummy!!!! 
Hidden in the cake is a tiny baby Jesus; whoever gets it in their slice of cake had to buy tamales on Feb. 2nd, "Dia de la Candelaria" 40 days after baby Jesus was born.

Tradition indicates that children should put their best shoe under the tree and the Three Kings will visit the night of Jan. 5th to deliver presents (children and everyone that has been good ;P ) 
When I was a kid my parents would go all out. I would leave water, peanuts and oranges for the kings' animals: a camel, and elephant and a horse and wine, cake, and goodies for the Three Kings.

This is a Catholic tradition but I wanted to share it with you because I find it very interesting to learn about other people's traditions.Tonight I will be sure to leave my shoe under my tree but just like on Christmas, it is important to remember what really is important, not just what presents we will get. 

As we begin a new year I invite you to reflect on your 2014 experiences. 
2014 brought laughter, joy and success in my professional career, but it also brought painful moments and heartbreak in so many ways. In my mind I almost fear the start of the new year because I don't want any more pain or painful experiences. Sometime I feel like I have lost so much during these last few years it is hard to stay positive. 

This holiday season I have tried not to dwell on what hurt me, but rather give thanks for the blessings. Life is not perfect and sometime we blessed in ways we don't understand or don't even see. Let's start this year not with fear of what it might bring, but with an attitude to enjoy life.
This is my new year's resolution. What is yours?

AB


Leave a Comment

Post a Comment